Monday, November 30, 2009

Layers of Shale Socks


These socks were knit last summer 2009 on size 7 double pointed needles holding together 2 separate yarns. #1 yarn was SRK On Your Toes 4ply sock yarn with aloe vera 75% superwash wool and 25% Nylon  AND Supersocke 100 which is also 75% wool and 25% nylon and also had aloe vera in it. This wool is machine washable and dryable so very practical.  I used a Free Knitting Pattern I got on Lionsbrand.com called "Boot Socks". They were very quick and easy to make and very cozy and comfy to wear. I plan on using them for skating and walking the dogs this winter or keeping my feet warm when I do early morning meditation.  They remind me of layers of shale sedimentary rock which formed rivers amongst the granite here on Cape Ann. They were part of an ancient volcano coming from deep within the earth crust. You see these rock formations along rocks outcroppings at beaches near my home and I am inspired by the energies of the shale. Multi-layered with various colorings to the different layers and then weathered by thousands and thousands of years of ocean water crashing on it and wearing it down. Sort of a metaphor for what life does to us sometimes! Anyway my hope is that when wearing them, I will feel the strength from deep within the earth and its grounding and settling vibrations.

No comments: