Sunday, January 17, 2010

Easterly Inn Popovers



4 eggs
2 cups milk
1 cup flour

This recipe was my grandmother's Melissa Collins Smith who ran a place called The Easterly Inn in Gloucester, MA during the 1960's. This was her recipe and I make it at home in vintage cast iron popover pans I bought on ebay. I believe that one I have is 150 years old.
1. I use a blender to mix the 4 eggs at the highest speed. Count to 10 and turn off blender.
2. Pour in 2 cups of milk and turn on the blender to the highest speed and count to 10 again. Turn off Blender.
3. Add 1 cup of flour and turn on the Blender and again count to 10. Pour into popover pans, muffins tins, or custard cups which have been either heavily greased or sprayed with Pam.

I preheat my oven to 425 but do not heat pans first (some people do this). I put the cold pan in the hot oven, close the door and in 15 min I reduce the heat to 350. Cook an additional 40-45 minutes. Please watch your oven but do not open the door if you can help it or your popovers may fall.


No comments: