Thursday, February 27, 2014

Bailey Island Hobo Project


The Bailey Island Hobo Bag Patterns are from a company in Maine called Two Aunties in Maine. They have quite a few patterns that use up leftover fabric in an interesting way. I learned about them from seeing a finished bag posted on Facebook by a Florida Quilting Buddy from The Seaside Piecemakers Quilting Club in Melbourne, Florida.  "Grammys Quilting Studio" Grammys Quilting Studio. The Quilting Club had had a member teacher class and this project was something they made.  After seeing the bag online, I ordered the pattern from the AuntiesTwo Website I felt guided to try my hand at making one with leftover scraps. I decided to use a Blue/Black theme rather then a tropical looking bag. I am happy with how the colors worked but would be inspired to try something more colorful next time around. I did this project in December 2013 around the New Year.

 This is a fun project, comfortable to carry and easy to make.  
Got lots of leftover batting?  How about 2 1/2" fabric strips? You can use that to make your bags. The bag is very lightweight and a dream to use. The large interior pockets make it so easy to find things too! I had thought I wouldn't want to use a shoulder bag but I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it. I was intrigued by Carol MacLeod of Aunties Two after viewing her website. She has all kinds of projects that are so beautiful, they are total fabric art. I must say I have become a fan and would make another bag again soon. I might try the larger bag version included in the pattern.


My finished Bag with Pattern in the Foreground
Sew all the Tubes Quilted Tubes Together
Add these roomy pockets for the Interior








MATERIALS LIST FROM PACKAGE

If you have made this project and have something to add to the review, please comment!
Happy Quilting,
Melissa Smith Abbott
February 2014

No comments: