Sunday, November 16, 2014

Prayer Shawl Knit in Multitone Purple Frog Tree Chunky Alpaca by Melissa Abbott

Prayer Shawl Knit in 

Multitone Purple Frog Tree Chunky Alpaca 
by Melissa Smith Abbott
While visiting Meredith, N.H. this summer, I happened up a wonderful knitting store there called "Pattern Works"  and bought this wonderful little book with 15 different knit Prayer Shawls. The book called out to me and even though I wasn't planning on doing much knitting, I bought the book. Prayer Shawls are usually knit with love infused into every stitch. I had the idea that I would like to do one. The little book slips into your bag easily and I started carrying it around looking at it and eventually settled on a pattern I thought would be beautiful on page 4. The pattern is called "Southwest Color" and it is by Cynthia Guggemos.
The Shawl is so comfy, cozy, and soft!

It knit up into a perfect length for me!
This is the Cover of the Little Prayer Shawl
Pattern Book I bought at Pattern Works in Meredith, NH

I wanted to knit the shawl in something special, something very soft and comforting. During the later part of the summer a friend who knits quite a bit told me about a wonderful soft yarn called Frog Tree Chunky Alpaca. I looked online and later found some at Coveted Yarn in Gloucester, MA in a wonderful purple variegated color. The pattern calls for 5 skeins of medium weight yarn and a size 9 circular needle but since this was a larger chunkier yarn I used 6 skeins (really about 5 1/2) and I boosted the needle size up to a size 11 circular.

Label of the Frog Tree
Chunky Alpaca Yarn
Pattern Page #4 "Southwest Color" 
out of the book

 "Knit Prayer Shawls, 15 Wraps to Share"


View of the Pattern Up Close

What a great and beautiful Meditative Object. I made this as a gift to myself. I often knit things for friends and family but I decided that the next thing I knit will be for myself and boy, do I sure appreciate this Shawl. It is incredibly comfortable. The greatest gift to myself that I could make!
Prayer Shawl Knit in Multitone Purple Frog Tree Chunky Alpaca by Melissa Abbott. Begun in August 2014 and finished in November 2014 in Gloucester, MA

Happy Knitting,
Melissa Abbott
November 2014
Gloucester, MA

No comments: